Monday 6 May 2013

Getting back in the game


So I neglected the blog last week as I had such a terrible weekend there was nothing much to say. Long and short of it was I took in far too much sun during the week and at the weekend felt trained with sunstroke and tired. Coupled with a few mouth ulcers and two DNF’s I felt seriously run down and tired. However a good few easy days and nice early nights have got me feeling ok again.



 Fortunately there was a race Wednesday so not much time to dwell on the weekend prior. The race went ok, nothing special I felt ok but did struggle at times. As the race went on I began to try and get in the moves on the finishing circuits but none of my attempts stuck. I had 1,2,3 jumps in the tank but the critical one went on the fourth and I just had to watch it sail of up the road. I rolled in 44th from well over  100 starters and was just pleased to get the full distance in my legs after the bad weekend.

And so on to this weekend. The race started and finished in the same town as Wednesday but the finishing circuit was an entirely different beast. The race was very aggressive, everyone who could was attacking on the inline loop but nothing was getting away, little groups got 10 seconds and then were shut down. I was very attentive up at the front not dropping out of the top 15-20 riders. When we came on to the finishing the sun was at its peak and it was getting pretty warm out there. The loop was a 4km slog with not one inch of recovery.  The climb continued through the finish line and then swooped down a fast long open section, at times I wished I had a 56 chain wheel on. Then there was a steeper decent and finally up the climb to the finish, the climb was pretty pacey but also kicked up at numerous points into the town. The best way I can describe it is like a typical Spanish village, every road to the centre goes up to a church at the top. On the second lap I had a go on the fast downhill which was a mistake..... I rode my nuts of here and as I reached the bottom of the accent the whole bunch came by. I grovelled onto the back and held on desperately through and over the crest after the finish, I was then dropped and distanced on the decent and had to make up around 200 meters. I managed it and held my speed and got myself back in the first 15 for the climb. I know that if I hadn't made this decisive move I would have been dropped on the climb.


And so we kept at it, I followed everything and kept myself safely up there. Lap after lap after lap the pace didn't ease at all if anything it got quicker and I was in a world of pain, all these stick legged climber types twiddling next to me on the penultimate lap. And so one to go I was right there first ten final time on the hill, thought right this is it lad “COME ON” the pace eased slightly and this allowed some riders further back sneak up, I rounded the last bend and just sprinted with anything I had left. I was 19th in the end from well over 100 starters.  



My next one is this Wednesday, Hopefully I can build on this weekend....



No comments:

Post a Comment