Tuesday 9 April 2013

Wet and wild weekend in Brittany.... Things got dirty....


So this weekend I had 2 races and to be honest they were both pretty unspectacular.


 Sundays race was a 19 lap triangular course, with every kind of wind except the welcomed taily.
It was the 2nd of a 4 race series and with George sitting 2nd overall it was the plan to get him a good result and by helping him out a nice result should come of it for myself too. However this didn’t quite come off as our other team mates got in the break with the overall leader and instead of sitting in the move and hoping we could come across they worked driving the break further out of reach. I tried desperately to get across and 1 of the attempts looked hopeful. I managed to get clear on the finishing hill but unfortunately only 1 other was able to come with me and over the top into the head wind we made little headway and soon were back in the clutches of the Peleton. Had 5 or 6 come we may have had a better chance of making the gap to the front group. As the race went on the bunch kept splitting and I found myself in the back of these splits, I managed to hop across to the next group and there I stayed. With one last attempt with a lap to go, to get up to the 2nd group I had a go on the finishing hill but after about a km I was caught and to be honest I was cooked. I came over the line first of our group but this was like drinking the dregs from a warm beer glass. 35th was my official result, nowt to get merry about.



.....And so on to Monday, which was to be a dizzying 35 laps of a 3.5 kilometer lap. We arrived at the race in pouring rain and set about getting changed in the back or a car. However there were 3 of us, George decided to take the boot and Josh and I in the car, “I think we still have our dignity”..... Thankfully the rain stopped and on the start line there was even a bit of sunshine, the lap began down a longish open windy section and then curled down to the coastline along a road with a surface complimented with tree roots uprooting the tarmac and back onto a wide section leading up a slight hill to the finish. Normally right up my street but to be honest I wasn't enjoying myself, a combination of slippery bends and dodgy “moving up strategies” made me quite nervous and each lap I eased of through the bends and without much effort road up to the wheel. But for some odd reason despite looking and feeling comfortable riders around me didn’t seem sure and insisted on taking my space. For some reason, whether it was the weather or just one of them days I wasn’t interested and just sat at the back and road round. Little groups were chipping off but nothing was sticking and when it did George was up there, my head wasn’t there and I just stayed where I was. This move stayed out of site until about 12 laps to go. I rode up to the front and had a dig, Josh did his best to slow the bunch and It was looking like I might make it across, unfortunately represented teams; team mates had other ideas and had me back in there grasp in just over a lap.



 After this it began to rain heavy and I was getting fed up and cold and seeing 8 laps to go didn’t fill me with joy. The race was over  and I was sick of getting the trademark wheel spray from the chap in front so that’s where I went, I sat on the front for the last 7 laps and road at a good tempo to keep warm and avoid the cold water and mud. Obviously after dragging the back markers round for 25 km they HAD to sprint past me  at the end for some kind of mental stimulation. All I wanted was a hat and a warm drink, one of which I received.... yes my own hat. Oh and a towel to clean up with.... shared between 3 of us.....


That’s all for now...  It may sound a shitty weekend but I have 2 more races in the legs and some more speed... Alls left to do now is clean this up....



No comments:

Post a Comment